- 1/2 cup chunky almond butter
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance (or non-dairy spread)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 3.5 cups Nature’s Path GF Rice Crisp Cereal
- Chocolate drizzle: 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1 tbsp almond butter, pinch salt
- Shredded coconut, to garnish
- Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan, by lining it with parchment paper on both sides.
- In a large pot over low-medium heat, add the brown rice syrup, Earth Balance, almond butter, and salt. Stir well until combined and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir in 3.5 cups of rice crisp cereal until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop into pan and spread evenly. Press down with fingers or roll flat with pastry roller. Place in freezer to set for 5 minutes while you make the chocolate glaze.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips. Microwave for about 60 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn. Stir in the almond butter and pinch of salt.
- Remove pan from freezer and drizzle or spread with melted chocolate mixture. Sprinkle with coconut and place in the freezer until firm, about 15 minutes. Slice into squares. Bars will hold their shape quite well at room temperature, but you can store in the fridge to ensure the chocolate stays solid.
Notes: 1) You can use any nut butter you like. If you use a smooth variety, you can add some chopped nuts for more crunch. 2) Brown rice syrup is used in this recipe because it is a great binder and it holds together these treats. If you use another liquid sweetener, I can’t guarantee that they will hold together as well.