When we traveled to Paris last year, there was nothing more delightful and delicious than sharing a crepe while walking through the finest gardens or the bustling cobblestone streets of the city. When in Paris, you might as well toss your health ideals to the wayside every now and then and just enjoy all the culinary majesty it has to offer.
Yet, when we returned home I had this burning desire to replicate our beloved crepes and not only make them a dessert, but to turn them into something as nutritious as, let’s say, oatmeal. So I went online and looked up vegan crepe recipes and stumbled upon Earth of Maria, which is where the bottom crepe recipe is derived from and they are delicious. But you still need to have more than just a crepe, you also need a sauce and filling, and I wanted to create a complete and nutritious meal.
So I decided to use the new Catie’s Organics Maca Dutch Chocolate Protein Powder in a vegan, coconut cashew creme. The result was two decadent chocolate and vanilla sauces that are filled with plant protein, healthy fats and absolutely zero refined sugar, and you and your family can eat it for breakfast any darn day of the week.
So, let’s get to it!
- 1 3/5 cups buckwheat flour
- 3 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 scoops Simply Young Creamy Coconut Powder
- 1 cup water or coconut water
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- few drops of stevia to taste
- 1 scoop Catie’s Maca Dutch Chocolate Protein
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Add the buckwheat flour, ground flaxseed, coconut sugar, salt and almond milk to a large mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together really well.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-low heat. Add 1 tsp coconut oil and add enough batter to the frying pan to cover the entire surface (around 1/4 cup per crepe). Cook for around 2 minutes, until it is easy to lift up the crepe. Flip, then cook for a further thirty seconds on the other side.
- Blend all ingredients in vanilla creme together till smooth, add more coconut sugar or stevia to taste if needed. Take half of the mixture and place it in a bowl on the side. Add the protein and cacao powder to the rest of the mixture and blend till fully incorporated.
- Have a large bowl of seasonal fruit and berries prepared. Add 2 tablespoons of each sauce to the crepe starting from the center. Add a line of fruit down the middle (amount of fruit will depend on how large you want the crepes to be) then roll them up. Once all crepes are assembled, line them up on a dish and drizzle the rest of the sauces on top and add fresh fruit. This makes an easy and beautiful presentation for any brunch or party.;
We hope you love them! Enjoy!